Orracle and Family

Orracle and Family

Thursday, May 8, 2008

I Need The Powerball...

OK, I don't really need to win the Poweball, but tonight I was helping one of Robyn's exchange students with information on Chicago and New York since I have been to both for pleasure and business. She is from Brazil and her father is flying to Chicago to meet her at the end of May. Robyn was in Vegas with us and knows that I find good deals and like to research stuff like this so he had me email ideas to her.

Since I was in the travel planning mindset, I looked for some other ideas to save money on our cruise that I just booked for November. Primarily, airfare. We really wanted to cruise the Southern Caribbean so that means embarkation from San Juan, PR. Simply put, there are no good ways to get from MSP to SJU. NWA flies there but only from Detroit (DTW). Hmmm - what if I fly on NWA to Atlanta or DTW or Orlando and then catch a cheapo airline to SJU like Sprirt? Still, no good deals. The best is on NWA via DTW for $344. The catch is that even though our cruise is 11/30-12/7 (Sun-Sun), it is right after Thanksgiving so fares are crazy if I don't fly on Thanksgiving Day and return on Monday 12/8 (Happy Birthday to me...). I guess we need to start Turkey Day damage control soon. Cruise is just 206 days away. The neat thing of flying to PR on the 27th is that we'll have 2 solid days to explore more or PR than Jess and I did on the Destination Excellence trip there 2 years ago. I think on the 28th, we want to take the $2.50 ferry to Culebra and see Flamenco Beach. Saturday - either a drive somewhere remote on PR or go out snorkeling with the Salty Dog again.

OK, Orracle, you seem to have this figured out....what is the concern?

I'm getting to it....have a beer and calm your ass down.

I saw a link from the Spirit Airlines page offering the "free dining" at Disney (WDW). We did that plan back 2 years ago and it is great. This year, New Richmond does not go back to school until well into September so it would be a great time to take advantage of this deal. For those of you unaware, check this out...

Book your WDW vacation by June 22 for travel between 8/24 and 9/20 and receive their dining plan totally free. This is MORE food than you can eat and the choices are endless. Each night of your stay you get 1 snack, 1 counter service meal (includes entree, drink and dessert) and 1 table service meal per person. WDW has so many options including dinner shows and ethnic foods at EPCOT and Animal Kingdom that choosing is a challenge. Add in the free bus service to and from the airport and it is hard to beat a vacation like Disney. I priced 7 nights/8 days at a moderate resort for 2 adults, 1 Jr and 1 child with the unlimited park hopper, free dining and transports and it was only $2700. Pretty tough to beat that. Downgrade to a Value Resort and it would probably be around $2000.

I want to do both. Why can't I? Oh yeah, the 60 year old couple from Waconia won the 180 million. I don't need that much. 2 or 3 million will get me by for now. OK, gas is high...better make it 4.

Back to our cruise though....we are booked on Royal Caribbean Adventure of the Seas. 3100 passengers at double occupancy. Average cruise has around 3600 plus the 1200 crew. The ship features rock climbing, pools galore, in-line skating, ice skating, mini golf and great food. We are booked way up on deck 10 in the rear of the ship. Balcony cabin 1392. This guy has a great review and pics on his website and was next door in 1390. The view from the back should be extraordinary. FYI, the Jr. Suites next to us are available if you wanna book. We'd love the company!

Ports of call for this itinerary are:
  • Oranjestad, Aruba
  • Willemstad, Curacao (actually pronounced cha-ra-sa)
  • St. Maarten (1/2 Dutch, 1/2 French)
  • St. Thomas

So, if you can help out at all with my Disney Quest donations, let me know.

No comments:

The ORRacle!

The ORRacle!