Orracle and Family

Orracle and Family

Friday, October 19, 2007

Battery Drainer for 10/19

County Projects....

There is something that has been bothering me for more than a year. I saw something today that reminded me of it and I realized that this is ther pefect forum to SHARE it with all of you.


A while ago near work, a relatively new building was almost completely knocked down and renovated. Every day we drove by in anticipation of who the new tenant would be! Then the sign went up...."FUTURE SITE OF HENNEPIN COUNTY LIBRARY - EDEN PRAIRIE BRANCH"


Huge arches, stone inlays on the outside wall, big windows....very extravagant.






For those of you that don't live locally, Hennpin County is large and ranges from blue collar, ghetto and upscale. Eden Prairie would represent the upscale division.


A while after this architectural wonder opened, word came that the library budget was tight. Hours would be cut. Branches would be closed. Anyone want to guess where? Blue collar neighborhoods and the ghetto.


One might argue that those neighborhoods need the library resources and programs more than that of the rich, upscale Eden Prairie area. I personally think, everyone needs that resource but if I had to choose, I'd give it to the inner city kids.


There are some that may say I should only worry about how I spend my money. Heck, I've never lived in Hennepin county and I currently live in Wisconsin!


I think it should be obvious the point that I am trying to make. Entites at all levels of government quite often make decisions that fail take into account the big picture.

Yes, the Eden Prairie library is beautiful. I hope the families in Minneapolis can make the trek out to the burbs to enjoy it.

No comments:

The ORRacle!

The ORRacle!