Orracle and Family

Orracle and Family

Friday, December 30, 2011

New Year, New Goals To Keep You Motivated

I have to say that I have hit my major goals that I have been pushing for since my visit to Hilton Head Health in April/May 2011.  I have never really stopped pushing and certainly have not regressed in any manner.  Lately though, I have found myself with some distance goals in mind but that was it.  Something has been missing.

Tonight I was at a sporting goods store which actually is dangerous for me now since so many things are appealing and fit my new body that I could easily spend $500 and not break a sweat.  I saw ski boots and thought I'd look at them.

Some of you know that in high school, I was an avid downhill skier with my buddies.  I found that after college as I gained weight, I could barely get ski boots buckled around my legs until the point where it was completely impossible.  I have wanted to ski with my kids for years but have not been able to.

I tried on a few boots tonight and unfortunately, none would close around my legs.  It is good though because I would not be tempted to spend the $300+ on them right away.  It is a little disheartening since I really wanted to ski this winter.  The best thing about it is that I now have a new goal to reach!  I needed this!

Now as we move towards 2012, it is time for you to find your goals.  Call them resolutions or whatever you want but make them.  Make them SMART goals! 

Specific.....Measurable.....Attainable....Realistic.....Timely

I think most importantly, they need to be behavior based goals.  This was one of the most critical things I took away from Adam Martin's goal setting class at H3.  Don't think about numbers or sizes.  Think about things you want to be doing as a goal. For me, skiiing is a behavior based goal.

Think about using a website to help you reach your goals.  A while ago on www.h3daily.com, Amy Kelderhouse posted about a goal setting website called STIKK.com.  I like the idea behind this site!

One that a co-worker showed me today is one to track your activity where you can join challenges of various levels and where you earn points for activities.  These points drive your 'fitness level'.  I really like this site for creative workout ideas for when you are having less time, traveling or just need a change of pace from your normal routine.  Here is the link to this site which is called Fleetly and free to use as well.  I like the ability to link yourself with friends on this site.  Accountability is KING!

When you are standing at the bottom of a giant hill, the climb looks daunting. You know you can do it but it will be such a long, hard task.  That is how I felt in March of this year before I started this journey.  Now, it has been 8 months since the day I checked into H3 and time has flown by.  That day, looking up at the hill seems like just yesterday.  It has been easier to climb this hill than I ever could have imagined while standing at the bottom looking up.  Don't let your mind get in the way of you taking that first step!  This is YOUR YEAR!  YOU have ALL the tools you need to start right now!

To everyone that has cheered me on this year and supported me, whether from work, home, New Richmond or someone I have met along the way, I am truly grateful for you and your support.  I cherish each and every one of you for what you have brought to my life and I only wish I could repay every one of you back for the support you have shown me.

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!

No comments:

The ORRacle!

The ORRacle!