Orracle and Family

Orracle and Family

Sunday, October 28, 2012

Discipline

We must find discipline.  Those of us on a weight loss journey may have a tougher time than others and I do not mean only in the eating department.

I was at my other gym last week in South Florida.  I go to a YouFit gym which I posted about in this post right here.  Despite what my main guy and coach Jeff Ford says in this post he made today, I still do the long runs.  In my defense, he and I have had conversations about this and I do the long runs for the extra calorie burn that I get.  I definitely do more Crossfit work now though than ever.  Back to my topic and observations.... 

I was on one of those longer runs on a treadmill last week and observed people working out.  Like any gym, there were people of all shapes, sizes and physical abilities.  Congrats to ALL of them for being there.  As I looked at those that were sitting, idle between sets, I noticed something.  All but 1 of the 6 people I saw using their cell phones in the workout were moderately to grossly overweight.  This brought me to checking out the clock when they finished a set.  The least amount of time I counted between sets for a cell phone user was 2 minutes.  The longest was over 5. 

Yes, some that are not using their cell phones tend to rest too long between sets as well.  I hear you cluckin' but I do not think I have witnessed anyone take 5 minutes between sets just sitting there.

To go into a gym it takes some discipline in the first place.  To really push yourself takes more. This does not differ from when you are running or when you are lifting.  It takes discipline to really go out of your comfort zone consciously.  I am usually the only one on a treadmill that might make a OOF or a ARGH grunt from time to time.  But when it comes time for speed intervals or hill intervals with some running on them, I push myself.  People sometimes stare at me when I do.  I must be some kind of freak!

I am trying to make a few points here.

1) Leave the cell phone in the car.  You can live without it for 30-60 minutes.  I am certain of it.  It will only be a distraction that keeps you from your best workout. 
2) Have a plan when you go into the gym.  Write it down if you have to.  Know the weight you plan to lift, on what machines, for how many reps and sets.  Know how long you will rest between sets and watch the clock (not the one on your cell).  If you are running, know how long and at what pace.  Decide ahead of time what intervals or challenges you might throw yourself into the run and execute them.
3) Push yourself.  Yes, you may sweat.  You might even grunt.  The best part is, you might work harder than you though you could and leave with an extra high feeling at the end knowing you just crushed whatever you decided to do.

With that success will come more discipline.  That discipline will carry you outside of the gym into the other places in your life where you did not have it.  The kitchen.  The restaurant.  The car.  At work.  Discipline is the key to success.

No comments:

The ORRacle!

The ORRacle!