Orracle and Family

Orracle and Family

Saturday, August 4, 2012

The Summer Games Are Unhealthy


If you are like me, you are spending more time in front of the TV lately because of the Olympics.  It seems odd that something that is possible because of some of the most awesome athletes and healthy people in the world could drive the rest of us to endless hours on the couch. 



As a "new" athlete, I find absolute joy in watching the tough endurance events such as swimming and track & field.  I am also looking forward to the Triathlon and Marathon events! 

I understand that it costs money to broadcast the Olympics covering hundreds of events with cameras and commentators (not that we see even 1/3 of them).  Money means sponsors and commercials. 

The two biggest sponsors for the Olympics are McDonald's and Coca-Cola.  Think about it.  How much soda of any kind does Michael Phelps drink?  How many trips to McDonald's does Gabby make after working out with her gymnastics coach?  I bet the marathoners skip the whole Paleo eating idea and just have a Big Mac when they need a snack.  My hunch is that Jeff Ford has no idea what he is talking about.  That is probably why he is doing Ironman Triathlons and not going to the olympics, right?

OK, I am officially talking out of my bum as they might say in London.

The truth is, while I thank the big, unhealthy sponsors for paying NBC millions of dollars, it is like advertising down jackets and winter wear on local Aruba TV.  One has nothing to do with the other. 

Coca-Cola was the premiere sponsor for the torch relay.  I assume they threw in mandatory stops for insulin for their athletes that carried the torch? 



McDonald's actually has the world's larget McDonald's within the Olympic village.  Who is eating here?



The reality here is that WE made them the gigantic companies they are.  We drove through their drive thrus and bought too much of their food.  We have had too much of "A Coke and a Smile" for far too long.  We have created the monster.


Well, I think an event is coming on....I need to get to McDonald's and get a Coke and a few sandwiches before it starts.

No comments:

The ORRacle!

The ORRacle!