Orracle and Family

Orracle and Family

Monday, February 6, 2012

Super Justification

Justification. I am the king of justification. Whether it is justifying on how badly I need something and the money used for it to be legitimate or whether it is an occasion to go overboard on food. It seemed that even before I changed my lifestyle, I looked forward to those occasions. When you feel badly about how you eat or how you do not take care of yourself, those days are your days to say that you deserve it. The only happens once a year, right? I used to eat Super Bowl quantities of food EVERY day….but on Super Sunday, it was OK in my mind.


So many people use the Super Bowl to go crazy. Bob Wright of Hilton Head Health gave statistics on their daily blog about how many tons of chicken wings would be eaten on Super Sunday.

Does a lifestyle change mean no more wings? Does it mean no more indulgences at all? Of course not. If you deny yourself completely, you will be setting yourself up for binges and situations you will later regret. I do think that a lifestyle change means you should moderate yourself even on those days. Find some healthy alternatives to take up some of the bulk but still enjoy those favorite items.

If you are like the guy below, I hope you planned for it. I hope you do not find yourself in a situation where you regret where you allowed yourself to go. No matter if it is an event like a Super Bowl party, a holiday with family or just a comfort food day, plan for it. When you plan for it, you have an understanding of what you will allow yourself and can govern your behavior on that. It should be no different than a goal when you hop onto a treadmill. You get on knowing what you want to accomplish from a time, speed and distance perspective. When you reach that goal, you are done. Treat these special events the same way but know what ‘done’ is before you get into the situation and have a pile of bones 8” high on your plate. Plan, regulate and move on. If you follow that, you will not be where you beat yourself up. You will not put yourself into a mental hole. You are living the change.

1 comment:

BooksAndPals said...

I am the king of Super Procrastination. I'll over indulge on Super Bowl Thursday in a few days. :)

The ORRacle!

The ORRacle!