Orracle and Family

Orracle and Family

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Go Forward With What You Have Available

I had a conversation with someone on my flight from MSP-FLL today about technology and how tethered we are to it.  I need to come clean that for The Orracle, if not for technology, he could not pay the bills...but hang with me on this one.  As I talked, it dawned on me on how much we concern ourselves with purchases around technology.

For example, those of you that know me understand how much I really dislike (cr)apple products.  I would never buy an iPad.  I still do desire a tablet.  I really like the new Kindle Fire that is coming out for just $200 but with a smaller screen and just 8 GB of memory.  Listen again...just 8 GIGABYTES of memory

Go back to when we were in a space race.  Our brilliant minds in this country used slide rules and their mind.  Nowhere did they stop and say they could not do something or could not get by without bigger slide rules or slide rules with bigger numbers let alone calculators and 1/2" thick computers with Gigabytes of memory.  No, they used the technology they had and made amazing things happen around them day after day. 

In my case, I am consumed with possibly waiting for the 2nd generation Kindle fire to come out that will most likely have a bigger screen and 16 GB of memory.  We are just not willing to get by with what is available apparently.

I think we can take the same analogy to healthy living and eating.  Sometimes when we do not have the best food available or access to a top notch gym or even any gym, we just cannot make it happen.  We are tied mentally to looking for that easier way to do it when a simple 'slide rule' will do.  Unfortunately, there are wolves lurking on every TV station to sell you today's version of the Thigh Master or .  They know what your mindset is!  You have EVERYTHING you need to do whatever those gimmick items suggest they can do for you within your house already but it looks easier.  It looks like you can have more success if you buy it, right?

Tomorrow, take what tools you have for dinner and for exercise and make them work.  Don't wait until you have the perfect tool set to take your next step.  Don't assume you need the gym.  Make a slide-rule change tomorrow because what you have is exactly enough to do what you need to do tomorrow. 

No comments:

The ORRacle!

The ORRacle!