Orracle and Family

Orracle and Family

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

A Chip Off The BIG PICTURE!!!




I found this story reprinted in the StarTribune today from the LA Times. I find it completely misleading! You can follow this link or you can just read it below since it is so short.




<from the LA TIMES>





Blame the potato chip. It's the biggest demon behind that pound-a-year weight creep that plagues many of us, a major diet study found. Bigger than soda, candy and ice cream. And the reason is partly that old advertising cliché: You can't eat just one. "They're very tasty and they have a very good texture. People generally don't take one or two chips. They have a whole bag," said obesity expert Dr. F. Xavier Pi-Sunyer of the St. Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital Center in New York. In the new study, scientists from Harvard analyzed changes in diet and lifestyle habits of 120,877 people from three long-running medical studies. On average, participants gained nearly 17 pounds over the 20-year period. Potato chips were the biggest dietary offender. Each daily serving containing 1 ounce led to a 1.69-pound uptick over four years. For potatoes other than chips, the gain was 1.28 pounds. Within the spud group, french fries were worse for the waist than boiled, baked or mashed potatoes. By comparison, sugary drinks added a pound over four years and sweets and desserts added 0.41 of a pound.




Seriously? This is the biggest problem we have with the drastic rise in obesity? If the real problem is 'a pound a year of weight gain', then I guess I can go with it. Plus, it makes you think that soft drinks might just be OK. Guess what....they are not!




If you get some space to write a wellness column, use it for something productive like addressing the REAL problems! I think what bugs me the most is that scientists from Harvard analyzed data to come to this conclusion. They are probably tenured jackasses that have nothing better to do but spend some grant money on useless studies like this. I know the concept of 'tenure' bothers me but I know it bothers my buddy, The Rube too!


Why can't they spend their time and money studying and publishing something that stands a chance to change the knowledge level of Americans and nutrition as it relates to obesity? I could rant forever but I think I will just stop now!

1 comment:

Jeff Ford said...

Yeah this is wild Lyle. If it were only that simple. Great post! Look forward to reading more and more.

The ORRacle!

The ORRacle!